U.S. citizens in Mexico will be able to acquire a work permit for four years

The governments of Mexico and the United States continue to work together to facilitate regular, safe, and productive travel that strengthens ties between our countries. US citizens are now eligible to obtain Mexican work permits valid for up to four years, eliminating the need to renew work permits annually.

The process to obtain a Mexican work permit normally begins with the application for a work visa. Potential employers in Mexico apply for a temporary residence visa with permission to work at the National Migration Institute (INM). Once the application is approved by the INM, US citizens must request a consular interview at the Mexican Embassy or the closest Mexican Consulate in the United States. If the interview is favorable, the visa will be issued. Within 30 days of arrival in Mexico, the US citizen must exchange the work visa for a work permit. The duration of the work permit will be based on the employer’s application and the length of the employee’s contract.

US citizens currently residing in Mexico whose employment contracts are extended by their employers can renew their temporary residence card in Mexico. However, it must be done within 30 days prior to the expiration of your temporary residence card and you must present proof of employment continuity.


  • For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
  • State Department – Consular Affairs:  888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations.  
  • Review the Traveler’s Checklist.



Join The Discussion

On Key

Related Posts

Compare listings